"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, December 01, 2012

The Trial (Franz Kafka, 1914-15 (published 1925))

One quickly sees how the adjective "Kafkaesque" came into usage.

Joseph K. is arrested and prosecuted by a shadowy court system.  He never learns the nature of the charges against him.

K. hires a lawyer, who doesn't seem to advance his case.  I like the scenes with K.'s practical uncle.  Also the scenes where K (a senior bank official) is competing with the vice president.  Also the opening scene (where he is arrested in bizarre fashion).

K. sees folks in the court system - those charged, minor court officials, clerks, etc.  But never gets a clue as to how things work, or even why he is in the system.

I see Kafka referred to as an incredibly important author for the 20th century, and I understand that this work (though unfinished, like all his works) is thought to be one of his best.  I like it; I also must be missing something because I don't quite get why it's considered so great.  Pretty clearly it's about modern bureaucracy, lack of accountability, lack of transparency?  I note that the book was written in 1914-1915 - before the emergence of the Soviet state.  (Though there had been plenty of repression in German lands over the years (Kafka being Czech)).


No comments: