"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Pentateuch (oft ascribed to Moses)

Don't recall where I read it - someone commented that knowing the Bible and Shakespeare is essential to dealing with so much of Western art, literature, music, whatever.  This was a very useful comment, and one that I'm acting on.

We go to an art gallery - most recent would be the Pre-Raphaelite exhibition in DC and the Getty - what percentage of significant works are along these themes?  Our Choral Union performances often are based on Bible elements.  (Working on Schubert's setting of "Miriam's Song" this semester - guess what, it's right in the Pentateuch (Miriam is reveling in poor Pharaoh's continuing misfortunes).)  Literary references are endless (we were just discussing East of Eden the other day - where poor Cain was sent ("the land of Nod, east of Eden")).  So doesn't it obviously make sense to refresh on these sources?

(Also, I'm entirely unapologetic about having a "Western" mindset - I believe there is a difference, and that it matters.)

My Bible knowledge is pretty decent, but it's been awhile.  Shakespeare - not so much - so I'm working with a Harold Bloom book and so far have read Julius Caesar, Richard III, and Titus Andronicus (will post on each as I get to it).

Pure coincidence - but helpful and interesting - that I was reading this book about Jerusalem somewhat concurrently with the Pentateuch.

Reading the Bible in chunks.  The Pentateuch is, of course, the first five books of the Old Testament.  Full of wondrous stories.  I think it does offer some pretty accurate insights into human nature, and serves up some stories to explain it.  Original sin, for example.

Hadn't recalled how Yahweh definitely was a "jealous" God.  All this stuff intended to mark out the Jews as not just a nation, but a "chosen" people.  Leviticus - quite a set of rules.

The story of Joseph - and the move to Egypt and subsequent departure - gets a ton of space.  Pharaoh was stubborn indeed - you'd think he'd give up after being pelted with frogs, having his rivers turned to blood, getting blasted with hail - just for starters.

Moses taps on the rock two times - no Promised Land for him.  40 years in the desert - so that all the unfaithful folks would be dead before the nation was permitted to enter Canaan.

Adam and Eve.  Cain and Abel.  Noah.  Abraham.  Ishmael.  Isaac.  Jacob (Leah and Rachel) and Esau.  The 12 sons of Jacob - which became the 12 tribes.  Moses.  Aaron.  Balaam won't curse the Israelites.

Next: Joshua, Samuel, Kings, etc.


No comments: