"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

All Quiet on the Western Front (Erick Maria Remarque, 1928)

I've been reading several WWI items recently and don't quite know what to say about this one. The author was in the German army, so it offers a different perspective than the Allied viewponit. It clearly is an anti-war novel, but that doesn't remove the ring of authenticity in the descriptions of the trench warfare, the bleakness of German civilian life as the blockade pinched supplies, etc. Though the characters look out for one another, the book otherwise is completely devoid of the usual strains of military romanticism and heroism.

The lead character along with several of his high school pals went right in the army and spent a bunch of time at the front. There are stories of martinet drill sergeants, efforts to treat the wounded, the challenge of going home on leave, the loss over the years of most of his original group. The battle descriptions - closeness of the front lines, trips back and forth across the no man's land, ability to distinguish each type of shell - are pretty much unbelievable. Near the end of the story the lead character dives into a huge shell hole for cover; a French soldier also ends up there and is knifed to death by the lead character, who is struck with the realization of killing someone with whom he would have had a great deal in common, and no reason at all to fight.

Depressing. Really good. I've heard this described as one of (if not) the greatest war novels of all time, and I can see why.

Lots more information here, which I recommend. They made this into a movie in 1930 that won Best Picture. Apparently they did a TV version in 1979 starring John-Boy from the Waltons (sounds dicey).

No comments: