"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, February 02, 2007

The Last King of Scotland

Patricia and I went to this movie at Camelview in Scottsdale. We went mostly because the guy playing Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker) had received so much favorable attention for his role. He definitely did a very fine job, though much of the time the Amin character was cartoonish.

The story revolved around a fictional Scottish doctor who went to Africa to do good and have some fun, and ended up as Amin's personal physician and overall confidante. The movie placed the action around various events in Uganda during Amin's day, including the Entebbe airport situation.

Name of movie was derived from a supposed affinity of Amin for all things Scottish, stemming from his early military days in the British colonial military. More on Amin here.

Good but not great.

No comments: