"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

To the Last Man (Jeff Shaara, 2004)

Shaara has written several Civil War books (as did his father). I believe this was his first World War I book. I've been working my way through a number of WWI books. The war was basically unbelievable, and the aftermath - in terms of map-drawing, political structures, etc. - is with us still. Shaara computes the numbers at 5,000 young men dead per day through the entire war - how did anyone cope with this?

In some ways it felt like Shaara was imitating "All Quiet on the Western Front" (per immediately below). I liked the book and it was well worth the time even if longish (600+ pages). He tells the story through the eyes of a group of characters - ground infantry, Lafayette Escadrille, Manfred von Richtofen, Pershing, Patton, Ludendorff, etc. I think he tried to pick up too many vantage points, and I preferred the way David Robbins uses this technique in his WWII novels. But it was helpful that he focused on just the last year+ of the war. I'm glad I read this. A fine diversion when on the stairmaster.

No comments: