"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, July 27, 2009

The Pilgrim's Progress - Part I (John Bunyan, 1678)

This one is widely recognized as a classic, and I've had it on my list for quite some time. But I didn't like it at all. And quit after Part I. (Missing Part II, which recounts a similar journey by the pilgrim's spouse and children.)

The back cover describes it as the "supreme classic of the English Puritan tradition," which may have been the problem here.

Anyway, some guy named "Christian", accompanied by "Hopeful," makes his way from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City. Christian talks about being humble, but seems pretty smug to me. They succeed on the journey through a combination of fortitude and lucky interventions from third parties. Other pilgrims, such as "Ignorance," aren't so lucky.

So what was this all about?

Anyway, now I know the source of "Vanity Fair," which supposedly is a good novel. So put it on hold at the library.

No comments: