"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Age of Innocence (Edith Wharton, 1920)

I had much enjoyed Wharton's The House of Mirth almost three years ago, but liked this better. Not sure (or perhaps incapable of articulating) why, but I very much like Wharton's writing.

In this one, New York upper society is changing (something Wharton lived through). Newland Archer is scheduled to be married to a prize catch of New York society, but things get very complicated as he helps out his fiancee's cousin.

I liked the way Wharton ended the book.

I also like that while she is quite focused on the foibles of this segment of society, she also obviously appreciates some of its strengths and charms - very little black and white here.

Didn't know this was a significant movie in 1993, with some pretty big name stars involved. I think I would be scared to watch it as I have nice memories of the book. Even found myself wondering what might have happened with the principal characters after the final events in the book, which is a pretty weird thing to wonder about in a novel.

No comments: