"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Complete Short Novels (Anton Chekhov, various dates 1888 - 1896)

I knew almost nothing about Chekhov. I did remember a photo of him visiting a very old Tolstoy. I see he was born in 1860 and mostly wrote short stories and plays. These works (called "short novels" by the translators) are probably the longest works he wrote - five stories, each in the range of 100+ pages.

He was born and raised in a town near the Sea of Azov; his father wasn't very nice it seems, plus bankrupted the family; Chekhov thus grew up quickly and took a lot of responsibility for the family. Became a doctor but didn't do a lot with it; gradually became very well known for his writing.

I liked these novels, a lot.

The first was The Steppe - very different from the other four. Atmospheric, plus. A small boy travels across the steppe to live with a relative and go to school following the death of his mother; he is in the company of a priest, a merchant and then various folks crossing the steppe. Chekhov knew the steppe from growing up and this is a delight to read. The plot, such as it is, is secondary to setting the scene. I probably liked this best of the five.

The Duel was recently made into a movie; it's in the Netflix queue.

The Story of an Unknown Man - this is about someone who poses as a servant to gain information about an enemy, ends up in love with his master's paramour.

Three Years - wealthy Moscow merchant marries a provincial (Yulia) who is not in love with him. They persevere, nice ending.

My Life - Young nobleman doesn't want to undertake a noble profession and falls out with his father. Paints house roofs. Marries the engineer's daughter and they undertaking farming (along with a sobering effort to raise up the serfs (resonant with Tolstoy). Ends up looking out for his sister's daughter (a variant of this theme happened three times in these five stories.)

No comments: