"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Invisible Gorilla - And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us, (Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons, 2010)

Very quick read. Very unusual type of book for me to select, but the reviews were good.

The authors put together a test that involves counting the number of passes made by basketball players. Hard to believe, but in countless administrations of the test, there are always about 50% of the viewers who don't see that well.

The test is in the video below - it's worth taking.

The book goes on to demonstrate that we shouldn't particularly trust our memories, our eyewitness evidence, etc. How we can and do convince ourselves that we remember being present at events where it isn't the case. About "flashbulb" memories ("where were you when you heard John Kennedy was shot" for people of my generation), and how even these are often inaccurate.

It took the authors lots of pages to make just a few points. Important points, but ones that any reasonably observant person should have a pretty good handle on, at least if they've lived long enough.

Still, a quick read and worth the little time that it took.

Here's the video:

No comments: