"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

The Brothers Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1880)

Another deservedly famous Dostoyevsky novel.  (Though I think I liked both Crime and Punishment and The Idiot even better.)  I had read this about 15 years ago but wanted to come back to it after having had the opportunity to do more reading in the meantime.  Didn't remember much except the initial scene when papa Karamazov buffoons it up at the monastery visiting the elder (Zosima).

So many strong characters:

- Fyodor - lecherous father
- Alyosha - the hero - younger brother - reminds me of the Idiot (Myshkin) in some ways.
- Dmitri - older brother - passionate; generous (always with money received from others)
- Ivan - middle brother - intellectual (rationalist, nihilist); anxious to rise above Christian, run-of-the-mill values
- Smerdyakov - Fyodor's illegitimate son (it is rumored); thinks he has a special relationship with Ivan; too clever by half
- Katya - bowed down to Dmitri
- Grushenka - Dmitri (and Fyodor) fall for her "curves", Dmitri ending up very much in love
- Madame Kohvalov (talky) and daughter (Lise - nice scene professing her soon-to-be-withdrawn betothal with Alyosha)
- Ilusha and his father (wisp of tow); Krossotkin
- Father Zosima

The "Grand Inquisitor" - Ivan's poem about Jesus returning to earth and being imprisoned by a Spanish Jesuit - this is often presented as a separate work. 

Toward the end of the novel, there is a lengthy portrayal of Dmitri's trial.  I didn't think it added much to the story. 

No comments: