"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, February 08, 2013

The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexander Dumas, 1844)

PJr and CPG liked, so I tried this - a true "adventure" story, I'd say - well worth reading. Easy to see why it is, and I expect will endure as, a classic.  Certainly made the time at the gym go by quickly.

Even if the book is quite long - as Umberto Eco explains in a nice "introduction," Dumas needed money and was paid by the word for this serialized work.  But the length, and repetitiveness, somehow draw or propel the story forward, I think.

The basic plot is well-known from multiple movie versions.  Edmond Dantes ends up in prison due to machinations of Danglars, Fernand, Caderrouse, Villefort - Dantes was framed as a Bonapartist when that was a dangerous thing to be.  Spends many years in prison; meets the abbe; loses Mercedes; acquires the abbe's hidden treasure following the daring escape; pursues revenge; some innocent folks suffer in addition to all the guilty parties; he has some regrets but ultimately handles it.  Became an expert in just about everything.

Italian bandits - Luigi Vampa, Pepino.  Danglars' scheming wife.  Villefort's deadly second wife.  Valentine and Maximilian Morrel.  Valentine's grandfather (old man Noirtier).  The Count's household help:  Ali, Bertuccio (with son Benedetto (also known as Prince Cavalcanti).  Mercedes's son - the duel.  Haydee.  And many more.

The plot line makes more sense if the reader has a little background with French history in first half of 19th century.  But this is definitely not needed to enjoy the tale.

No comments: