"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, September 15, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine (September 9, 2006)



Patricia and I went to this movie at Camelview back on September 9. We hadn't thought the trailer looked like much, but all three of our sons had given it the major thumbs up. So we gave it a try. And I'm glad we did. Six central characters in the extended family. I thought they all did a great job, and all the parts fit together. Greg Kinnear probably had the largest role - his character was trying to launch a lecture tour with associated books and CDs for a nine-step program on how to be a "winner." The movie opens with him doing the program with an overhead projector. Which pretty much spoke to his prospects.

His brother in law was the second best Proust scholar but let's say was working through some issues. His son had gotten into Nietzsche, and had concluded that he couldn't talk - so he communicated via handwritten notes, which was a neat device. The kid actor was effective and not annoying, which is pretty rare. Etc. My favorite scene was the dinner scene at the beginning of the movie when the characters were more or less being introduced. But there were many good moments.

No comments: