"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Cradle & Crucible: History and Faith in the Middle East (2002)


I signed out this book because David Fromkin was listed as an author, and I have enjoyed reading other stuff of his. Then it turned out that this was a National Geographic compilation consisting of short pieces by numerous authors, so I thought the book would be pretty much a waste of time. Turns out that it is actually a very useful overview of what we call the Middle East, tracing from earliest days, Greeks, Romans, Byzantium, rise of Islam, Ottomans, through WWI carve-up (Fromkin’s piece), founding of Israel, etc. Maps are helpful.

It is remarkable that the religious fervor of three major religions, along with associated mayhem through the ages, came from this one area. The back of the book includes a chapter on each of the religions.

Short, readable, useful.

No comments: