"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Atonement (January 27, 2008)

Patricia and I went to see a movie in the theater for the first time in over six months. We've been enjoying our Netflix rentals; that system really works well for us.

We ended up liking this movie quite a bit. The music was a bonus.

Basic premise: older daughter of upper class British family experiences an incident - pretty much harmless - out near the fountain with the son of one of the kitchen staff (though the son was Cambridge educated and headed to medical school if I remember correctly); the incident was observed from afar by the younger daughter and misinterpreted. This led to pretty much catastrophic consequences. And a need for "atonement" on a couple levels.

The story started during the years leading up to World War II; the male lead ends up going to war; is separated from his unit and becomes part of the evacuation scene at Dunkirk. The director did a 5+ minute tracking shot there which worked well.

The younger sister is played by three different actresses at different stages in her life and becomes quite the interesting character. We liked the finish. The "atonement" concept plays through quite effectively.

Then we had a decent meal at the "Elephant Bar" near the Scottsdale 101 theater, so that was unexpectedly nice.

No comments: