"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Fathers and Sons (Ivan Turgenev, 1861)

I liked this. Turgenev writes an accessible story of what later became characterized as a "generation gap." This occurs with each generation but doubtless is more pronounced at times of social upheaval - in this case, the run-up to the "liberation" of the serfs, etc.

Bazarov is the strongest character - refers to himself as a "nihilist," leads around Arkady and others. Their homes are relatively close by so they together visit each set of parents after graduation. Bazarov's father is a military alum; Arkady's a traditional gentlement, trying to cope with the new relationships with the serfs, deal with his beloved wife's death, run his dwindling estate. Arkady's father lives with his somewhat-dandy brother, Pavel - who is a neat character. Turgenev writes a number of nice scenes, including Arkady courting Katya.

I guess the Russian novelists were heavily politicized, apparently because there were few other developed outlets for expression. On the surface, this might seem to be an insightful story of generations coming to understand one another a bit. But I read that the book also prompted strong reactions across the political spectrum, with leftists thinking Turgenev was glorifying conservative values, and conservatives thinking he was glorifying "nihilism" (whatever that might mean, I think even Bazarov would have had trouble explaining).

No comments: