"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Paris: The Secret History (Andrew Hussey, 2006)

This book had been well-reviewed, but I was a bit leery because of the title (if a book is being marketed on the basis of "secret," it's probably not very serious). And I would say the book isn't great, but it certainly is extremely helpful in lining up all the things going on in Paris since Roman times. Much worth the time to read it.

This is particularly useful in sorting out all the changes from the Revolution through WW II.

Not to mention terms like the "left bank" - didn't realize older maps often had west to the top. The university history was stronger than I knew.

There was some discussion of Knights Templar, consistent with the discussion in this book.

First cafes (coffee rather than ale or wine) supposedly in the 1660s. Fancy restaurants appearing in late 18th century (including chefs of aristocracy looking for work after the Revolution.) Haute couture as wealthy mimic ex-royalty. Haussmann changing the look of the city; open boulevards, wrought iron railings. All sorts of leading ideas, regular turmoil, etc.

(Skipping some): Revolution, Directory, Bonaparte, Restoration, 1830 (Louis Phillipe - bourgeois king), 1848 (Napoleon III), 1870, Communards, etc. It's odd to think how much happened in such a short space of time; most folks would have lived through multiple stages.

No comments: