"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Burning Land (Bernard Cornwell, 2009)

Another historical novel by Cornwell (#4 for me) - apparently he has recently written several novels set in the 9th century in what will become England. Reviewers indicate that this story is based on a number of somewhat well documented historical episodes.

Read a favorable review in WSJ so tried this. More of a page-turner, but Cornwell's research and story-telling are very strong. He can make you imagine what this might have felt like. Details about battles, politics, etc. Very enjoyable to read (on the stairmaster).

King Alfred dreams of uniting Angle-land as a Christian kingdom; but relies on Uhtred (pagan protagonist) for military success.

They are dealing with several Danish invasions. Alfred's son (to be King Edward) is being groomed. There is an angry Danish woman named Skade. Uhtred is loyal to Alfred's daughter.

No comments: