"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Anthem (Ayn Rand, 1938)

This is a quite-short work by Ayn Rand - I think it was something of a warm-up for Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead. Dystopian future where collectivism has ended up degrading society and individuality is entirely suppressed. A person named Equality 7-2521 breaks out.

Rand is taking lots of the usual criticisms these days in the mainstream media, occasioned by the recent release of a film version of Atlas Shrugged (apparently not a particularly great film version). I continue to think that she has a lot to say, and also continue to think that folks who pick away at elements of "positivism" probably quite correctly find lots of flaws . . . but overall her message has quite a bit of value, especially these days.

Reminded me of Love Among the Ruins, from this collection of Evelyn Waugh short stories.

Also some elements of A Canticle for Leibowitz, described here.

And the suppression of the individual certainly resonates with just-read "Everything Flows".

No comments: