"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1866)


I hadn't ever read this famous work.  I can see why it's so well-regarded.  I was positively nervous throughout the entire book (well, except perhaps during the entertaining passage when Luzhin's erstwhile friend serves as a caricature for liberal/progressive thought that rings as true today as it must have in 1866).

This book (and this book) had interesting discussions about Romanticism, including the idea of the man-above-history; how Napoleon was despised for his actions yet revered for his "above history" status.  In "Crime and Punishment," the protagonist (Raskolnikov) compares himself to Napoleon, and (in an overwrought mental state) commits a crime in an unsuccessful effort to prove to himself that he merits the comparison.  (That being said, this book isn't categorized as "Romantic" literature, at least as I think of it, both on timing and content.)

I suppose the main feature of the book - and what made it stand out at the time - is the compelling descriptions of what was going on in Raskolnikov's head.   And others, the viewpoint shifts around sometimes.

I particularly liked that Dostoyevsky developed so many characters so well.  Sonya's drunkard father's description of the path that led to Sonya's profession is just heartbreaking.  The trials of the drunkard's well-born wife, at odds with the German landlady.  Raskolnikov's sister and mother, who come to St. Petersburg.  Luzhin, who wishes to marry Raskolnikov's sister but is a smug fool.  The lecherous Svidrigaïlov, who follows Raskolnikov's sister to St. Petersburg and plays a surprisingly large role in the story.  Raskolnikov's colleague (Razumikhin); the police detective (Porfiry); etc.

This afternoon I took a 30-minute break to finish the book, I simply couldn't wait to see how it turned out.

It was written early in Dostoyevsky's career.  In installments for magazine serialization - odd to think that so many important novels were presented in that manner.

No comments: