"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Comedy in a Minor Key (Hans Keilson, 1947)

English translation only in 2010, so this is but recently available.  And well reviewed.

Simple, short story ("novella") about a married Dutch couple (Wim and Marie) who agreed to hide a Jew (known as Nico) in an upstairs bedroom.  They don't really run into serious problems while doing so, though the author does a great job helping us understand what all that might have felt like - the effect on the hidden; the effect on the hiders; the tension associated with little things like dealing with the cleaning lady, the milkman, visiting relatives; listening to the bombers fly overhead on their way from bases in Britain to targets inside Germany; dealing with Netherlands policemen who can be more or less helpful to the Nazi occupiers; etc.  Wim and Marie were simple, kind, people.

Then there is a problem - Nico dies (he wasn't in great health and caught pneumonia).  Disposing of the body led to a situation that involved a complete shift of perspective for Wim and Marie, one that gave them a glimpse into what had become Nico's world.

Which I think is very helpful to think about.  (This type of shift probably could happen, beneficially, more in my day-to-day life if I keep my eyes open.)

This book offers another instructive perspective on what I would tend to characterize as "peripheral" players in WWII-era Europe.  But really, what's peripheral about these characters??

Things like this must have happened in Luxembourg?

No comments: