"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, March 11, 2012

One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1967)

This book shows up on "top 100" lists; I also see it described as one of, if not the greatest, Latin American novels.  I would say I liked it quite a bit, but - perhaps lacking perspective? - I didn't find it nearly as compelling as all that.

The story covers 100 years in the town of Macondo, founded by the Buendia family; the focus is on several generations of the Buendias.  Quite confusing as the author has the family use the same names (or minor variants) from generation to generation - difficult to tell one from the other - then I belatedly realized that was the author's intention.

I can see that the author addresses the cycle of liberal/conservative civil war in Latin America; incursion of foreign capital (banana plantations, in this case); role of the Catholic Church; continuation of traditional beliefs and practices; family loyalties, etc.

I just couldn't relate that well to any of the numerous characters.  The male Buendias are impulsive/obsessive; or dreamers.  The women are more grounded, but often are unable to connect (Amaranta).  Magical events occur; time folds in on itself or at least circles around; the gypsy leader is influential over the entire hundred years (and probably before and after, elsewhere); plenty of weird things happen.

The Colonel starts, and loses, 32 wars.  And makes little fishes.  Ursula is on the journey that resulted in the founding of Macondo, and lives to well over 100.

I need to think about this one a bit more, or something.

No comments: