"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, May 04, 2012

Charles Dickens - A Life (Claire Tomalin, 2011)


Lots of folks recommend reading biographies, but I typically don't even pull them off the shelf (to use outdated terminology).   (So it makes some sense that the "biography" tag in the box at left only leads to about 15 hits - though I do admit to liking most of that group quite a bit).  I do like biographies more if the author is using the life-story primarily as an interesting perspective to illustrate the times in which the "biographee" was living.

That's a long way of saying I didn't enjoy this book very much.  I signed it out because of several glowing reviews.  And it did provide some information about 19th century London.  But I far preferred this biography and its setting in 18th century London.  And I just don't care all that much about what the research has uncovered about Dickens's specific doings, his marital problems, his girlfriend, whatever.

Not news, but amazing to think about:  the wealth of characters that he created, and his overwhelming popularity (especially in Britain and in the U.S. (notwithstanding a rocky initial visit)).  A couple factors that contributed to the popularity:  (1) his evident sympathy for the working classes; and (2) the decision to serialize his novels - making them cost-accessible to all. 

Something I hadn't thought about until this author mentioned it:  the difficulty of writing serialized novels - authors generally have the freedom to go back and revise, or to write sections entirely out of sequence.  Dickens, typically needing cash, was on deadline - he simply had to make the books work from installment to installment.  Even when not necessarily knowing exactly where the book was headed, how critical or public reaction to an installment might suggest changes, etc.

I didn't know that he was under cash pressure even after starting to make very good money as an author.  Grew up poor; father in debtor's prison at some point; never really accumulated capital; ended up supporting his father, his brothers, his sons, his ex-wife, his girlfriend and some of her family, etc.  He had to work very hard, right up until time of his death.

Pickwick Papers made his reputation.

Later in life, he did amazing readings from his works - scripted to his strengths, not taken directly from the books - a great way to make money, huge audiences, tremendous responses.

Met royalty, presidents, top literary folks from his era.

I (and others who know more about this than me) think that many (some?) of his characters and story lines today come across as "over the top".  Certainly hasn't impeded popularity.

No comments: