"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, July 07, 2012

The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia (Samuel Johnson, 1759)

I much liked Boswell's biography of Johnson, but still have trouble figuring out where he fits in the literary world.  Other than his dictionary and all the essays, aphorisms and bon mots - I think he wrote quite a bit of other stuff, but don't know that it really took off.  I signed out of the library a one-volume collection of selected "prose and poetry" by Johson - started working through it, decided not to keep after it.  Probably gave up too soon, but it wasn't that interesting.

I did work all the way through a short story - Rasselas - didn't find it all that compelling either.  I think this is one of his better-known works.  It reminded me of Voltaire's Candide;  but I didn't like it as much.

Junior members of Abyssinian royalty are confined to a hidden valley from which it is impossible to escape - though all needs are met in the finest possible way.  Rasselas becomes discontented, eventually escapes with his sister and their tutor (who had experience in the outside world).  They go around trying to find happiness, or purpose - meet up with various folks, find out that it's a pretty complicated issue.  Eventually they go back to Abyssinia - wiser, perhaps somewhat sadder as well.

No comments: