"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, September 02, 2012

Paris to the Past - Traveling Through French History by Train (Ina Caro, 2011)

I read through the entire book (parts of it, quite quickly).  I think it's valuable as a resource when planning a trip to Paris - it doesn't very work well to just read through it.

Saw a couple reviews, and the book looked interesting to me because we were planning a trip to Paris.  And I very much liked the idea of incorporating day trips by train.

But the book isn't really a travel book, and isn't really a history - though it attempts to be both.

That being said, I definitely could see it as something one would purchase in e-book form and use while in Paris.

The author is married to a famous biographer (Robert Caro); his biography of LBJ has been on my list for awhile.  She had a very annoying habit of constantly referring to whatever "Bob" was doing or thinking instead of just writing about whatever.

No comments: