"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Agent Garbo - the brilliant, eccentric secret agent who tricked Hitler and saved D-Day (Stephan Talty, 2012)

Gift from PJ (as was this book on a closely-related topic).  Much enjoyed both.

As noted in the description of Double Cross - declassified information has given authors some new - and fascinating - material to work from regarding the WWII battle of spies between England and Germany.

Agent Gargo was the Spanish chicken farmer discussed in Double Cross - which focused on five different agents.  This book goes into quite a bit more detail about him.  So this was an excellent pair of books - one provided more of an overview, one went into depth on the key actor.

Hadn't realized Graham Greene worked in Lisbon for M16 (gathering material for books like this).

It seems pretty clear that the British double agents - the most important of which had been code-named "Agent Garbo" - succeeded in their primary goal - heading off the positioning of Nazi forces on Normandy and, more importantly, delaying the sending of Nazi reinforcements to the area in the critical days right after D-Day.  The Calais ruse was believed.

Readable, interesting throughout.

Doesn't look very dangerous, does he?

No comments: