"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, September 29, 2014

This Side of Paradise (F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1920)

Book club selection (via Lon?)

Fitzgerald's first novel.  Amory Blaine is handsome, smart, indulged.  Basically:  seems to not know how to be happy.

The story line traces through his upbringing with his eccentric mother, close friendship with a priest-friend of his mother's, several romances (none of which goes anywhere), adventures at Princeton, a WWI stint (no details provided), working at (and resigning from) an ad agency, poverty, heavy drinking (prohibition comes into play), tries to be a fall guy in NJ, etc.  Searching.

Fitzgerald does give the reader a feel for what the world may well have felt like at the WWI fault line.  Political, social, literary trends; rapid change.  And Fitzgerald is good with the language, though I thought a bit glib.

Amory wasn't a particularly likable character.  Having troubles, but not sympathetic.

The ambiguities here yielded worthwhile "book club" discussion.

Still don't know why Fitzgerald is considered so wonderful, though this was worth reading.

And:  still not a fan of his best-regarded work.


No comments: