"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, July 15, 2016

Jude the Obscure (Thomas Hardy, 1895)

My first Thomas Hardy novel; I expect to read more.

This was his final novel; some speculate he was discouraged by adverse reaction to it, though I don't find that terribly plausible (unburdened by any knowledge on this topic, however).

The book appears on "best novel" lists; it also appears on "most depressing novel" lists - both rankings make sense.

It made me rather unhappy quite regularly, yet tugged me along.  I'd recommend it, although initially I felt otherwise.  The characters are interesting, complicated - no one-dimensional villains.

Themes:  difficulty of lower classes to access higher education; class distinctions; difficulties with the institution of marriage as then in force; the Church; smothering effect of these.  In 1895 - controversial.  But very thoughtful and sympathetic; perhaps even "ethical," I'd say.  Modern, but not modern (1895, after all).

Sue Bridehead - clear-thinking, delightful heroine, but fragile, and endures too much.

Jude Fawley - always working uphill. Working class with dreams of academia (or clergy); makes a living, such as it was, by working as a stonemason.  From childhood, loves the town of Christminster as a place of dreams or opportunities.

Jude's schoolmaster for a brief period in early childhood - Philottson - moves to Christminster at beginning of the novel - later re-enters the story - also shows quite a bit of capacity for independent thinking but is duly punished.

Arabella - a survivor!

Father Time - one of the grimmest characters I've ever encountered.

No comments: