"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, November 04, 2022

The Rise of Germany 1939-1941 - The War in the West (James Holland, 2015)

(594 pages)

This is another guy who can really write.  This is a topic we've read so much about - but new sources are available, this writer uses them, and can keep the story arcs moving along in a really interesting way.

Part 1 of a trilogy, I'm looking forward to further reading.

One source - a diary kept by the indiscreet Italian leader - it was dangerously frank and thus useful to historians led to a bad outcome for him. 

Author is really effective at weaving primary sources into the larger narrative - constant movement from macro to micro works so well.

Working through the early years of the war - author has paid a lot of attention to resource and supply issues - crucial but I don't think I've ever seen this much detail. Nazi Germany makes great territorial advances at incredible speed - lots of London bombing and shipping harassment - but at great cost of resources and without actually winning the "Battle of Britain" or the "Battle of the Atlantic".  Meaning great work remained to be done, with diminished resource base.

And specter of US resources available to Britain.

Italian ally as mostly a problem - required resources rather than reduced the need for them.

No comments: