"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, January 14, 2023

The Prime Minister (Anthony Trollope, 1876)

(691 pages)

I don't know too much about Trollope; seems he was a prolific writer and immensely successful in his time.  Some of his novels were written as a series; this is the fifth novel in the "Palliser" series.  I've not read any of the prior, and that was fine.

I thought this was really well-written; I enjoyed and will look for more of his novels.

"Palliser" is the name of a Duke who is prevailed upon to lead a 19th century coalition government when neither the Tories nor the Whigs can form a government; thus he is the titular "Prime Minister". Coalition governments have challenges; this one seems to function smoothly enough; the Prime Minister's wife has the idea to assist by throwing lavish parties at which she entertains anyone that might seem useful.  The Prime Minister's temperament doesn't work well with this approach, and in fact isn't great for his role as Prime Minister.  But he's honest, hardworking, respected.

There is a second major story line - widower "Mr. Wharton" - aging lawyer with quite a bit of money saved up and two children, Emily and a son who is having trouble finding his way.  Emily falls hard for a guy named Fernando Lopez - who seems to have good qualifications - but old man Wharton is not a fan because Lopez never reveals his family background or financial situation; seems to be of Portuguese (if not Jewish, God forbid) extraction rather than a true English gentlemen. Once married, it turns out that Lopez badly needs Wharton money; he works hard to get it.

The Prime Minister and his wife deal with all sorts of political characters and situations.  Lopez works himself into their orbit and thinks he's getting backing for a seat in Parliament (which he thinks will help his financial situation).  Thus some overlap between the two story lines.

There is a character named Arthur Fletcher - both his family and the Wharton family always thought Emily would marry Arthur. 

No comments: