"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, October 23, 2023

On Desperate Ground - The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle (Hampton Sides, 2018)

Sides is a very good author - made this highly interesting (it's a great story so didn't need much build).

I don't know much about the Korean war so it's helpful as to the early stages of the conflict.

Douglas MacArthur does not come off well in this telling, and I think that's the consensus of folks who are knowledgeable about this.

Sides introduces various of the key soldiers and officers, describes the incredible bravery under horrible winter conditions.  Sympathetic to Chinese soldiers who quite often were so poorly equipped - both for fighting and for surviving the weather.

The Chinese did have lots of bodies and no qualms about expending them - US soldiers fighting off literal hordes, corpses stack up in the cold.

Also some impressive engineering feats - to get an air strip ready to go in an isolated area, to fix a crossing.  Ingenuity. 

No comments: