"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, November 25, 2023

To The Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf, 1927)

This book is centered around the Ramsey family - Mrs. Ramsey, Mr. Ramsey, eight children; also their several visitors during a stay at their summer home.

I liked it a lot.

Three segments.  In the first, we meet the characters. They are staying at the summer home (a bit shabby). Very little direct dialogue or action, mostly we're seeing how they interact and feel about each other. Mrs. Ramsey seems to be the primary focus. She tells younger son (James) that they can visit the lighthouse (nearby, offshore) the following day, but Mr. Ramsey says the weather will prevent this. References to this continue. I particularly like the dinner scene - so well done - bouncing around the characters as they see, feel, process; no direct quotes - takes place after we've gotten to know most of the characters quite a bit. Effective.

Second segment - short, there is a passage of ~10 years.  Mrs. Ramsey passes away, two of the children die; WWI happens.

Third segment - after years without visiting, some or all of the surviving Ramseys and guests stay at the summer home.  Lily Briscoe - an artist - works on a painting abandoned during the prior visit, and reflects on Mrs. Ramsey in particular.  James and Cam (a sister) travel with Mr. Ramsey toward the lighthouse.  Both are resentful about their relationship with their father, but are thinking about it.

No comments: