"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, May 20, 2024

The Bed of Procrustes - Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms (Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2016)

(156 pages)

The content is well-described by the title.

Third book of the five-book Incerto.

Many of the little sayings are valuable; they also tend to repeat or encapsulate the text from the first two books (probably the next two as well, I will be reading those in the not-too-distant future).

While reading, I was thinking that aphorisms overlap with poetry - dense, thus harder to read, thus better consumed in smaller doses.  Taleb himself mentions this comparison in what he called the "Postface" at the end of the book. 

No comments: