"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, August 26, 2024

I, Claudius - From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius (Robert Graves, 1934)

(468 pages)

This title was familiar from a PBS series years ago that I never watched.

It's an interesting look at Rome in the final years of Augustus's reign, then Tiberius (not a great figure), then Caligula (an awful figure); Claudius unexpectedly declared emperor at the end of the book (Claudius the God will pick up the thread, I plan to read it).

A bit more palace intrigue than I was expecting, but probably a useful look at things that happen as authoritarian systems start to decay.

As I understand it, Graves was pretty true to the history of the times.

Livia such a strong character.

Interesting tidbit - Augustus is concerned with the lack of fertility among the higher ranks of society - too much fun, having and parenting children not honored among that set.

Tiberius relying on informers. Episodes of incredible cruelty.

A good read.

No comments: