"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Radetzky March (Joseph Roth, 1932)

I've had this on my reading list for quite awhile, it was well worth the wait.

Traces three generations of the Trotta family - Austrian nobility - as the Habsburg dynasty approaches its end point with the onset of World War I.  First generation was a soldier of peasant stock who was elevated to the nobility after saving Franz Josef's life on the battlefield at Solferino (which was a much bigger battle than I remembered).  Second generation Trotta became a career diplomat after his father dissuaded him from joining the military.  Third generation Trotta re-entered the military - but seemed better suited to functioning in the style of his peasant ancestors.  Franz Josef of course lived to a very old age, and he reappears throughout the novel in various contacts with the Trotta family members.

I know nothing of the author except read he is ranked with Thomas Mann among central European authors of the period.

This book reminded me very much of three-generation stories that I have read in the last couple months; the first two having been focused on South America and Italy, respectively.    It is an odd coincidence that those three books all ended up in the queue at the same time.

As with the other books - this is a great construct to communicate the loss (or change) of a particular way of life.  Austria in particular was poised for drastic changes. 

Some losses in third generation Trotta's regiment (resulting from a duel, actually) were broadly felt by the survivors - Roth has an effective way of pointing out that losses like this just felt different before the mechanized killing of World War I, which took away the personal element; humans were just another (replaceable) cog in the machine.

As best I can tell the Habsburgs did a decent job trying to hold together all the national minorities in their dominions.  Sounds though they were reactionary and then some, but it's hard to see that things were better off for their demise.  The second Trotta, from his administrative post, was the author's vehicle for communicating the way in which grievances and politics surrounding these national minorities largely overtook the old empire.  Leading to Wilson, self-determination, nationalism, persistent slaughter in this difficult corner of the world.

Third generation Trotta ends up in a border town - near Russia - very interesting descriptions of early 20th-century life there.  Franz Ferdinand's assassination is announced during a party there.

No comments: