"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, May 20, 2006

My Hitch in Hell: The Bataan Death March (Lester Tenney, 2000)

Enlisted man from Chicago is part of surrender in the Philippines. Bataan Death March, prison camps in the Philippines and Japan.

Quick read, interesting. The author - later a professor at ASU - was quite the operator - ran entertainment, gambling, prison black market, etc.

But the focus is on the awful conditions in which these POWs tried to function. The book is very good at describing this.

No comments: