"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, May 15, 2006

The Stranger and the Statesman (Nina Burleigh, 2004)

Gift from my five children purchased during the trip by four of them to visit KHG in DC.

Biographical information on James Smithson - illegitimate son of English nobility - who left his estate to the U.S. Ex-president John Quincy Adams played the lead role in seeing that the estate (bags of gold) was used to build what became the Smithsonian.

Not many specifics available on Smithson himself (mostly due to an untimely fire), but the book does an interesting job of portraying early 19th century America and contrasting it to Europe.

Nobody seems to know why he gave the money to the U.S. Apparently he didn't have any heirs to cut out.

No comments: