"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Lord Jim (Joseph Conrad, 1900)

I've wanted to read this book ever since we had a paperback version laying around at the farm. I liked it quite a bit, but I did think it was longer than necessary.

The premise is great - exploring what happens to someone that makes the wrong decision in a crucial situation that comes back to haunt him. Jim's decision revolved around a rusting ship filled with Muslim pilgrims; he was the ship's mate. The consequences led him to various postings progressively farther east, ultimately leading him to a deep-jungle posting where he experienced great success and then another failure. The narrator (Marlowe) finds Jim's case interesting because he is "one of us."

It does make you think about quick decisions under pressure, some of which are not good decisions. Most of the time there are few or no consequences, sometimes it's a disaster. We've all been in some version of this situation.

A good summary of the book can be found here.

I like Conrad's stuff, though I preferred "Victory" and "Heart of Darkness" over this one.

No comments: