"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Alexander the Great: (Norman F. Cantor, 2005 (published posthumously))

Short and highly readable, maybe that was the author's point? This was so cursory it was hardly worth the bother. Anyway, it's still an interesting summary of things Alexander.

There were a couple of useful perspectives, including that Alexander was primarily an adventurer with some good administrative skills; the author thinks he gets way too much credit for empire-building, when in fact pretty much everything fell apart right after his death. Cantor also does a good job of putting Alexander into the context of his time; points out that the Greeks often were romanticized yet constantly fought, mistreated women, were regularly brutal, etc.

Cantor gets lots of favorable attention but I'm not going to pick up his stuff again. "In the Wake of the Plague" and "Inventing the Middle Ages" weren't that great, either.

No comments: