"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, June 01, 2007

The Vikings (Else Roesdahl, 1998)

It does make you wonder what was up with these folks. Moving from Scandinavia to Iceland, Greenland and North America is pretty well discussed, but they also went all over Europe - taking Paris and establishing a kingdom in Italy, etc. Also moved east, referred to as "Rus", showed up in Constantinople. I suppose there was some pressure for younger sons to seek opportunity, or pure sense of adventure, or whatever - and as it worked out well, they kept going and going.

Terror to communities. Big role in England. Normandy, of course. Start showing up shortly after Charlemagne, cut deals with his three sons. Era probably ended with Battle of Hastings in 1066, which involved Viking descendants all around - but also was emblematic of how they had embedded themselves locally. The days of raiding and plundering were pretty much over.

The manner in which these folks showed up and wreaked havoc must have been awe-inspiring. Though there were plenty of other violent opportunists floating around in those days, it seems. The Viking must have had more style.

No comments: