"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Once (June 24, 2007)

Patricia, Patrick and I went to see this movie at Camelview. I'd recommend seeing it. The movie is about a street performer in Ireland; he's pretty much in the down-and-out stage. A Czech immigrant gets interested; turns out she is a very fine singer and pianist. So they make music, and their relationship is nice.

They make a recording, using some other street performers to constitute "the band." (I guess this aspect had some genesis in the lead actor's personal story.)

When I was watching the movie, I was surprised at how much singing was included, and felt the plot was not developed much. (Those two issues go hand in hand, as the inclusion of several three-five minute songs really cuts down the time available for the story.)

But I realize I missed the point. This was a musical. It just didn't look like a traditional musical. It had about the story line depth for a traditional musical - which is fine, many of those are great stories. So I conclude that I liked this.

I heard that the production budget was only $150,000 or so, which seems unbelievable.

No comments: