"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1925)

This book has become a staple of high school and college reading lists, but I never ran into it. Or had much interest. Then I keep reading how it is one of the most highly considered novels in American history (if not the Great American Novel), so thought I'd give it a try.

But it didn't do much for me. Jay Gatsby is supposed to be an interesting character, but to me he's rather a caricature instead. Daisy is pretty much over the top also, as is her husband. I must have missed something.

It's a quick read and worth touring through. Now I'm interested in seeing a movie version (there have been several).

The foreward includes some interesting correspondence by the author. Fitzgerald actually talked about books remaining in the public eye longer if you could get teachers to put them on reading lists. Funny that it happened.

No comments: