"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Frankenstein (Mary Shelley, 1831)

The author was from a then well known literary family; had a quite unstable and unusual married life. She hung around with folks like Lord Byron. These two plus some other literary types were stuck in a rainy spell while on extended holiday near Lake Geneva, and challenged each other to write ghost stories as a diversion. "Frankenstein" grew out of this effort.

Gothic, strange, quick read, enjoyable. Not sure of the take-away, but at a minimum (as an old commercial put it), clearly it's never a good idea to fool with mother nature.

Three long narratives are included from slightly different perspectives - the tale of the narrator; who then hears Frankenstein's tale directly from Frankenstein; and the narrator then hears the monster's tale from Frankenstein (with a finishing flourish direct from the monster).

Awful things happen throughout. It's not hard to see how this became widely read, and transmuted into various pop culture formats.

By the way, I hadn't realized how the monster had learned language etc. (not having had a chance at a formal education). Among his learning opportunities, the monster had access to three books - one of which of course was Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther," the massively influential book described here. The monster apparently sympathized with Werther's version of being "romantic."

No comments: