"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

A Natural History of the Piano - from Mozart to Modern Jazz and Everything in Between (Stuart Isacoff, 2011)

Quick read, useful.

I had never really thought about the history of the "piano" other than some very interesting discussion in this biography.  Even basic stuff like:  when did a reasonably modern version of the instrument become available?  how did concerts in concert halls get started?  etc.

The author goes back to the amazing-ness of Bach, including a focus on this very interesting story.

Mozart - primitive touring, good enough to try to survive without patronage of nobles; playing as an "independent" in essentially taverns; a tough go.

As discussed in this interesting book - how the piano became sufficiently developed to fill a large concert hall; Lizst among the very first to utilize this.  He was a true rock star, to use modern (if already dated - do rock stars still walk the earth?) terminology.

Interesting story about Mendelssohn - how Wagner tried to bury him based on anti-Semitism; how Mendelssohn had conducted the St. Matthew Passion for the first time since Bach's death in 1750.

Plenty of other anecdotes about Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Debussy, Satie, many others.  Emphasis on the leadership of the Germans.

Mass marketing - particularly aimed at women - amazing success in planting pianos in private homes.  Like the one I grew up in.

Not a great book, but helps round out the picture on the development here.

No comments: