"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Friday, May 09, 2014

The History of Love (Nicole Krauss, 2005)

Book club selection (via Nick).

One of the advantages for me of this little "book club" is that I am forced to read stuff I otherwise would not select - such as modern fiction.  This book fits that category, and was worth reading.  Even if it didn't entirely fit together (or maybe I just didn't follow well).

Young Jewish lovers in Poland; the guy (Leo) writes a book ("The History of Love") to/for his girlfriend (Alma); Nazis close in and Alma (pregnant though this is unknown to Leo) goes to America; Leo goes into hiding in Poland; Alma ends up marrying son of owner of business where she works (concluding Leo must be dead and the kid needs a father); Leo eventually makes it to America, learns of Alma's situation, watches Alma and his son (who became a famous writer) pretty much from afar; takes up locksmithing via Polish contact; does a little more writing; grows old in obscurity.

The manuscript for The History of Love was entrusted to Leo's childhood friend in Poland; he emigrates to South America and eventually publishes it in Spanish in a limited edition under his own name (also thinking Leo was dead); and gained some notoriety thereby.  A key character is a young girl named Alma (after the lead character in Leo's book, which book was beloved by the parents of Alma #2); she has an annoying brother nicknamed "Bird"; their father had died young; Alma #2's efforts to be a matchmaker for her mother lead her to research the origins of her name, which process brings elements of the story into focus.  Finally.  Somewhat.

Story is told through several narrators and bounces around in time and geography.

Best parts of the work were written in Leo's old-man voice.

No comments: