"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, April 28, 2014

King Lear (William Shakespeare, between 1603 and 1606 (with later revisions))


My "Shakespeare project" continues.  (And I continue to think it's well worth the little time that it requires.)

King Lear = famous tragedy.  Universally admired.  But I had a problem:  the tragic side of this is just too tragic for my taste.

King Lear has three daughters - bequeaths his kingdom to the older two (Goneril and Regan), cutting out the much-beloved younger sister (Cordelia) because she wouldn't play along with whatever game he dreamt up at bequeathing-time.  (But the King of France marries her nonetheless.)

Goneril and Regan are the grasping type; they quickly tire of hosting the ex-king and his knights (which was part of the bequeathing-deal).  Loyal Duke of Kent and Duke of Gloucester (with his loyal son Edgar and disloyal bastard Edmund).  Invasion from France.  Edmund successfully flirtatious with both Goneril and Regan, which was a little weird.  Kent and Edgar are in disguise for big chunks of the play.

Cordelia loyal.  Lear descends into madness.  Quite a few folks die.

No comments: