"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Emma (Jane Austen, 1815)

Spotted this on the library shelf and - never having read Austen - decided why not?  There must be something going on  what with worldwide readership, numerous movies (in the only one I've seen Greer Garson really is quite excellent as Elizabeth Bennet).  Emma is fairly long - this version runs to 495 pages - but I'll say that it pretty much held my attention throughout.

Titular heroine is witty, smart, wealthy young woman who somewhat overrates herself - the flaws create some interest.  Austen provides a detailed look at folks in various stations of life in the village of Highbury - that element is pretty interesting.

Emma's dad is a kindly fuss budget (I can see myself making some of his observations about food).  Her sister and family live in London; her ex-governess (who functioned more as a dear friend than a useful guiding hand) lives in walking range with her new (somewhat older) husband; son of new husband creates interest around town.  Jane Fairfax.  Mrs., Miss Bates.  Elton marries an obnoxious wife after Emma rejects him.  Knightley.  Harriet Smith.  Etc.

Nothing about it was terribly compelling, yet I can see why Austen is credited with keen ++ observation powers, ability to re-create dialogue, sketch characters, etc.  I think it was worth my time.  And that it shall be the last Austen novel I read.

No comments: