"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, October 20, 2014

Hild (Nicola Griffith, 2013)

Historical fiction - what I'd call a "romp".  Like this.  A category I rarely read.  But I quite enjoyed this, blew through it quite quickly at the gym.  Maybe I should spend more time with this genre?

The author somehow became aware of a figure from 7th-century Britain - St. Hilda of Whitby - limited information available, so the author decided to build a full tale around the scanty record.  I read that this now will become a three-part work.  This first novel covers Hild from her earliest memories (three years old) to her early 20s.  

Hild's mother (Breguswith) positions her as a seer - the "light of the world" - and Hild delivers.  Bright, perceptive, courageous - she becomes seer for her crafty uncle (Edwin of Northumbria) who is a minor king but rapidly consolidating power over larger territories.

Hild grows up with Cian; Begu becomes her "gemaecce" and Gwladus her accommodating body servant; Hild is increasingly adept at seeing patterns everywhere.  Also at cultivating information networks.  So she has better quality information than others, and superior skills at putting pieces together.  In short: highly valuable to someone like Edwin.

So did this give me some insights into 7th century Northumbria?  And if so, are they worth anything?  I think it's "yes" and "yes".  Author is not a historian, but seems to have done enough checking around such that the reader gets a feel for time/place (if only the author's version).  What became England was a bevy of shifting alliances - England was not unique.  Clan behavior.  The importance of trade.  Kings who travel from place to place within their domain(s) - lest allegiance of locals wanes.

Roman ruins.  Old gods - including Woden - giving way to Christianity.  But always with political overtones. Hild is baptized - but not out of any sense of piety.  Edwin believed church backing would help him increase and consolidate his power base (well, that has been a pretty typical strategy before and after the 7th century.)  Priests hanging around - from Ireland or coming over from mainland Europe.  Irish priest - Fursey - teaches Hild to read and write (on Edwin's orders); also emphasizes the value of literacy as the power struggles continue and become more sophisticated. 

I may well go on to read the next two novels if/as they become available.

No comments: