"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Introduction to the Qur'an (W. Montgomery Watt and Richard Bell - 1970)

I would love to have a little better sense of the Koran (using spelling I'm most familiar with); have tried to approach it via a book or three (here, for example); not making much headway.  This book was favorably reviewed in part because it was released before the escalated tensions that seem to make authors overly cautious with their wording in more recent works.

But this one didn't help me much.  It was very focused on the text - pulling out various points at a greater level of detail than I could (or perhaps wanted to) handle.   There was quite a bit of discussion around historical context, but I would have preferred more.

Little or no progress based on this.

No comments: