"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Year Zero - A History of 1945 (Ian Buruma, 2013)

Another look at the immediate aftermath of WWII - the amazing year of 1945 - insights into how countries tried to start over.

Often with significantly different demographics than obtained prior to the war.

I rather expected this to cover similar ground as this so-helpful work by Tony Judt - but the overlap isn't all that much - Buruma covers more countries (Asia, for example) but in less detail than Europe-focused Judt.  And he pretty much sticks to his "Year Zero" theme; Judt covers a longer time span.

There was a significant amount of "retribution" - but also a practical viewpoint - plenty of people who hadn't behaved all that well now were needed to make these countries work - an active process of forgetting, or overlooking, was pursued in so many cases.  As Judt discussed, this did lead to some backlash later.  But I don't know how these places could otherwise have functioned.

Returning POWs or campers often not all that welcome - or sympathized with - home front folks had their own problems (and opportunities!)

Useful discussion of a difficult situation that I think tends to be overlooked - huge decisions with corresponding consequences came down as WWII closed and the postwar period commenced.

No comments: