"To compensate a little for the treachery and weakness of my memory, so extreme that it has happened to me more than once to pick up again, as recent and unknown to me, books which I had read carefully a few years before . . . I have adopted the habit for some time now of adding at the end of each book . . . the time I finished reading it and the judgment I have derived of it as a whole, so that this may represent to me at least the sense and general idea I had conceived of the author in reading it." (Montaigne, Book II, Essay 10 (publ. 1580))

Monday, May 01, 2017

Guard of Honor (James Gould Cozzens, 1948)

(631 pp)

Saw a couple highly favorable references so thought I'd give it a try.  I liked it.

Won Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1948.

Story takes places over three days; almost all of the action takes place at a fictional Florida base for the Army Air Forces (I think this preceded a separate Air Force?)  Quite a few characters, but focus on just a few and the character development is strong.

Beyond just the story-telling, I think this is useful in giving a glimpse of how the military might have felt on a domestic base in 1942 (in that respect sometimes made me think of this excellent novel); the way that career Army fellows interacted with one another (with the combat vets in particular bonded closely); the contrasting way that civilian types in the Army operated as among themselves and with the career guys - effective, respected, but just not as closely tied in.  Early 1940s army was full of draftees or enlistees - in this respect the story line mostly involves professional public relations and media types (which I learned was the author's role in the war).  Glimpses of the unwritten rules among the military types as they cope with issues and decisions.

"Bus" Beal is the general in charge - correctly views himself as a "flyboy" - never to be an all-star administrative-general type, but also the kind of person that is needed to win wars.  Most of the story line involves Captain Hicks and Colonel Ross - civilians.  Issues arise at a Florida base when a contingent of Negro flyers and support folks arrive, with Washington DC intending that this will become a showcase unit.

Amanda Turck.  Beal's wing-man - Benny Carricker.  Mrs. Ross; Mrs. Beal; Lippa; Captain Wiley (Southerner with combat experience); Jo Jo Nichols; Colonel Mowbray; etc.

No comments: